Did you just make an Instagram account? Are you relatively new to instagram? Do you find it hard to specifically find someone or something on Instagram? Well if that is the case and you are confused about how to carry out an Instagram search, this article will help you find your way around Instagram. In this article you will know how to search for whatever you are looking for on Instagram whether you are using the app or the Instagram website.
How to carry out basic search on Instagram
You can carry out Instagram search in different ways. You can search for locations, hashtags and people by using either the website or the app. The search function is pretty simple and easy. Here are a few quick and easy steps for searching;
- Click on the search icon at the bottom of the screen, a search bar will appear.
- Go to the top of the screen where the search bar is at the top of Search and explore and write the names or the usernames of the people you want to search. Tap the ‘people’ option to limit your search just to people.
- You can tap the tags option in the middle below the search bar to search for specific hashtags by writing them on the search bar. This will limit your search to tags only. Hashtags are ways by which users categorize their pictures, this way it is easier to find pictures and users following a certain theme or idea.
- You can also write down locations and tap on the places option on the top as shown in the photo. (described in detail further)
- If you want to find new people to follow or see the people top on trending list, tap the ‘top’ option. This way you can catch up with the latest trends and stories going around.
- Tap on the search icon on the extreme right side of the bar to get your search results.
Remember your Instagram search results are categorically based on many factors. This includes who you are follow on Instagram and what sort of videos and photos you have liked. The search results are basically based on your likes and the sort of things you like to view.
You can also follow suggested users on Instagram. For that you need to tap the profile icon on the bottom of your screen. Then tap on the ‘discover’ icon. You’ll find this icon in the top-left corner of the screen (iPhone) or near the top-right corner of the screen (Android). Then tap on the ‘suggested’ tab, this option can be found on the top left corner of ‘discover people’. When you tap on this option a list of profiles will be shown based on your interests and follows. You can scroll down and see the profiles suggested to you. If you like a profile you can simply tap on ‘follow’ option to follow them. To go back to the ‘discover people’ page just tap the ‘back’ option.
How to find friends on Instagram
You have friends on Instagram but do not how to find them? Well to find and follow friends that are already added on your Facebook or twitter accounts or are present in your contact list, you need to go through the following steps;
- To the bottom right of the screen there will be a profile image that sort of looks like a contact card. You need to tap that image.
- Then select the ‘find friends’ option.
- A list of your friends having an Instagram account, which are already added in your contact list, Facebook account or twitter account will appear.
- Click ‘follow’ next to their name and start following them.
- In case your friend’s account is private you need to tap on ‘request’ option and then they can approve your request.
- You can also tap on ‘suggested users’ to follow some of Instagram’s favorite people or take a look at Instagram’s Notable Users Directory to find users to follow based on your interests. (as mentioned above)
- If you have friends that are on Instagram but not on added on your other social media accounts, you can follow the general basic search rules given above to search for them in the search bar, by using their username, hashtags etc.
- Also you can make new friends or follow people with similar interests by tapping the ‘popular’ tab to see some of the most interesting photos on Instagram, if you like what you see then you can click on the user who uploaded it and follow him/her.
- In case you have not connected your Instagram account to your Facebook account, go to ‘discover people’ page as mentioned above. Tap on the ‘connect to Facebook’ option and choose how you would like to login; with the Facebook app or through phone or email. Give your information to login through Facebook or give your phone number or email ID. Then tap on the ‘continue’ option. After a few seconds your friend list will appear. You can follow your friends by tapping on their profiles and tapping the follow option.
- If you haven’t allowed Instagram to access your contacts, then go to ‘discover people’ page and tap the contacts tab. After that tap on ‘connect to contacts’. Tap ‘allow access’ if you have iPhone or ‘get started’ if you have android. List of your friends on Instagram will appear and you can follow as you please.
Searching Instagram by location
Instagram has a special feature by which you can search by location from the Instagram app. Just like you search for username or hashtag, you write the location or place on the search bar at the top of the screen and tap on the search icon to get results. To find people near you, you can write your location and tap on places to see people near you. You can also find a user’s location by viewing a user’s photo Map by going to their profile page. But for this that specific user should have enabled this feature on his/her account so that you can view the location.
How to view Photo Map
If you want to view a user’s photo map. Open their Instagram profile page. Then tap the “Photo Map” icon on the center-right side on the user’s page in order to view the map of their posts which is tagged by location.
Can people tell if I searched for them?
Whilst searching for people or looking at their profile you may wonder if they will get notified of your activity. Well the answer to that is no. No one can see what you search on Instagram or who you search for. Unless you send them a request to follow or like something on their profile they cannot tell if you were on their profile.
How to delete Instagram search history
Many a times we get carried away by our searches on Instagram, which we would not be comfortable with, if other people casually using your Instagram account see. Since Instagram does track every search you make; when you tap on your search bar a list of your previous searches can be seen. Now the question is how to get rid of that list? The answer is pretty simple. You can delete your Instagram search history. Now how do we do that? Well there is a loophole first. You cannot delete your search history if you are using Instagram on the website. But in the Instagram app you can. Here are a few quick easy steps on how to delete search history via using app;
- First open your Instagram and go to your account’s main profile page.
- You will see a gear icon on the extreme top right of the screen. Tap on that icon.
- Instagram options page will open, you will then need to scroll down and find the ‘clear search history’ option on the list.
- Once you find it tap on that option.
- You will be asked then to confirm this deletion option. Tap on the confirm button.
In the end return to the search page on Instagram and check if your history has been deleted.
Aforementioned ways are easy ways to access other users’ profiles as well as delete your search history. Sometimes people have this question if you can search someone or find someone’s email ID on Instagram. The answer to this is that you cannot. Instagram doesn’t share email addresses so you can’t access them. However, if you need email addresses from Instagram accounts, there are several workarounds.
In case of you want to follow more people and accounts, you can always browse Instagram suggested people. These suggestions are based on what is popular and who you are currently following. Tap the ‘view all’ button to view all the suggestions and find more people you would like to follow.